Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's a Spoooooky House!

This was my first "gingerbread" house kit. I had wanted to make one for years, but always talked myself out of it for whatever reason. This was mostly definitely on my list on things I wanted to do with Buggy. Although I know when she can really help decorate that will be when it gets really fun! I can wait to see what her design ideas are....I love the way kid's minds think.
This was a Wilton kit that included everything you need to decorate the house for approximately $10. I thought it gave the fun of decorating without the headache that goes along with making this from scratch. They even included the cute sugar ghost on the front door. I was very thankful when I opened the box and realized that the house structure was already put together...I wasn't looking forward to that part....and all that was left to do was the decorating :) The only things I added that were not included in the kit were the candy corn and pumpkins and the green sprinkles I used for the grass. The kit showed dyed coconut, which I think would have looked better but I didn't have any so I made the sprinkles work.

There were 3-4 pictures of the house decorated in different styles, and instructions on the order to decorate in to help get the creative juices flowing. The candy corn fence came to me after I had finished the house and it just needed a little something as the finishing touch. The container of pumpkins and candy corn sitting on the counter called my name.....I mean, have you ever seen a spooky house without a fence and a pumpkin patch?!
There was plenty of icing for decorating, and as you can see piping is not my Strong point and it totally played to my advantage that it was a haunted house seeing I made the icing too thin and everything looks saggy, haha
All in all this was fun and I am looking forward to trying one again for Christmas. Maybe Isabel will be ready to help design by then!
Oh and yes, please read her bib...it is sooo true. "I'm so cute, its scary!"

No comments:

Post a Comment