Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Cake Slice Bakers and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake!

Bald, but still delicious!


You are getting sleepy.....haha

Looks good already!

"Mom, What am I supposed to do with these?"

Baby Yamaka?!

Yummy Mickey Mouse Sprinkles!
Happy First Birthday Jonathan!!!


I learned of The Cake Slice Bakers through Monica at Lick The Bowl Good. If you haven't read her blog, please do it is an awesome blog. She has really served as my inspiration to get back in the kitchen and use my love for baking to help heal my soul and connect with my sweet girl Isa....aka Buggy Girl, hence the blog name ;)


Ok, so I do admit I blog stalk Monica and her blog....and I think I have a culinary crush. I hope my cakes and blogs will look like hers one day.

Don't be surprised if you see us try a lot of recipes she blogs about....she can make things look sooooo yummy with her pictures....a skill I am still working on.


On to The Cake Slice Bakers. I have waited the better part of a year for this group to open their membership. This is a group of fellow bakers that all cook from the same book for 1 year. Each month the group votes on a cake to be make and then keeps it secret until we all post our blogs on the 20th of each month. We are currently baking from Cake Keeper Cakes.

Kicking things off in true Fall fashion the first cake was pumpkin chocolate chip pound cake, and man it was yummy. We decided to take these to one of Isabel's many boyfriends' 1st birthday party....what can I say she has a thing for the older boys. To make them a little more "birthday" we opted to make them in Mickey Mouse cupcake liners and to top them with cream cheese icing and sprinkles of course!
This recipe will most definitely make it on our "go to" list. It would make a great breakfast/brunch cake, and was super easy to put together. I am not a huge lover of pumpkin flavored things, but this was just enough pumpkin flavor without it dominating the cake.....and everything is better with chocolate chips and nuts right?!
I'm looking forward to many more months cooking with The Cake Slice Bakers! Enjoy :)
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cake- Cake Keeper Cakes
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • pinch nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)

Heat oven to 350F. Grease the inside 9x5 loaf pan eith non-stick cooking spray and dust with flour (We made cupcakes of course!)

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, cloves and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine butter and sugar in large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluufy, for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl 1-2 times as needed.

Turn mixer on low add one egg at a time, scraping down sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in pumpkin puree and vanilla. Stir in milk.

Turn the mixer on low speed and add flour mixture 1/2 cups at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Scrap batter into loaf pan, smoothing top with a rubber spatula (or fill cupcake liners 2/3 full).

Bake cake until top is firm to touch and inserted toothpick comes out clean. 55minutes-1 hour (cupcakes took approximately 22 minutes). Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn in out onto wire rack to cool.

Store uneaten cake covered at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap for 1 week.

3 comments:

  1. Your little girl is SO cute! :)

    And the muffins look delicious! I think next time I make this, I'm going to make muffins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Buggy Girl is very cute and getting a head start on her baking sitting watching Mummy! I'm looking forward to following her growing up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute little helper! I totally get your culinary crush - I have one or two myself. I keep saying that their blogs are what mine will be when it grows up.

    ReplyDelete