Monday, October 25, 2010

Hello Andes, Nice to Meet You!











I heart Andes mints....it always makes me happy to see one delivered with my bill at a restaurant, so it was no surprised that I scooped up a bag of the Andes Baking Chips the first time I stumbled on them at the grocery store the other week. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but I knew it would be good.

I figured a good place to start was the yummy cookie recipe listed on the bag. The recipe was very straight forward with typical cookie base ingredients and mixing. It tasted more like a sugar cookie dough than a chocolate chip dough. Warning! Warning!!The dough does require chilling, So don't go thinking that you are going to whip these up real fast before bed.....just saying. I actually let my chill overnight, because of this fact and it did seem to effect the finished product. The recipe only called for an hour.

They were soft, sweet, chocolatety and a hint of cool from the mint. The chips were small enough they melted into the cookie so there was a consistent flavor of chocolate mint through out the entire cookie verses big chunks of dough or chocolate like traditional chocolate chip cookie. I will be making more of these....and probably trying to come up with other ideas for the Andes chips. Maybe mix in brownies?? These cookies would definitely make a good addition to your holiday cookie box as a little twist on a more traditional cookie....and just something about chocolate mint flavor makes me think Christmas.

Ok I know I'm probably slow on the uptake and these have been out for sale for months or years....so just know they are the regular andes mints chopped up. A little part of me was hoping for a cute kiss shaped chip, but no luck. Thought about it, but didn't check to see if it would be cheaper to by a box of mints and chop them myself or just buy the bag of chips....who knows, but effort to unwrap an entire box and then chop them just might be worth the extra quarter or so it might cost. On the other hand...I didn't take this into consideration when I bought 3 bags of individually wrapped caramels to make caramels the other day.....don't worry there is a post to come about that adventure.

Hey, but then again that might be something my sous chef, Bugs, can do...she's been working hard on her fine motor skills lately ;)



Andes Creme de Menthe Chunk Cookies



  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (I used light, because it was what I had on hand)

  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar

  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • 1tsp baking powder

  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs

  • 1 package (10oz) Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips

  • 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

Blend butter, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and eggs until mixed. Stir in Andes baking chips and then flour.

Chill approximately 1 hour in the refrigerator. Measure out approximately 1oz of dough. Form ball and slightly flatten. Raise oven rack one level above middle and bake on non-stick baking pans.

Bake at 350F for 8-10minutes. Cool on pans for 2 minutes before removing.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies. (I must have made bigger cookies because I didn't get anywhere close to 4 dozen).

No comments:

Post a Comment